I took squares cut from quarters of an A4-based square, a lovely cotton based marbled 100GSM paper stock that I had bought years before.
The individual modules are pretty simple – all pre-creased and I got some of my students to fold some to help out. I folded a few extra just in case then devised the scheme of getting the model together.
Annoyingly, I attempted to construct the ball 3 times before being frustrated. When the modules are larger, the pointy flaps sink far enough into the pockets they actually turn a corner and lock really well. these small modules however never penetrated the pockets deep enough to lock positively and the paper tension necessary to actually form and even out the shape pulled itself apart.
I have no idea what I will do with this model – the challenge of making it was being rewarded by a lovely artifact.