TerraMUDX [tMUX] User Community Forum Index

<  Bugs and fixlist  ~  light

Ferni
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 05 Dec 2007 Posts: 230
why cant you cast light on someone else? or cant light be a room spell so if its cast all players inside can see? and how long do torches last?
Swampy
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
Member Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Posts: 247
i asked the same question, and it would appear that the spell illuminates the caster in someway and therefore cannot be cast on others.
torches vary depending on the type and the condition. I don't know how long a standar small plastic torch lasts for.
And light does affect all players in the room. However, if you have a mage follow a barb, and the mage has light cast on him, he will arrive in the room a split second after the barb, and consequently the barbs snapshot of the room will be dark. If you type look again the barbarian should now be able to see, due to his snapshot of the room being taken after the mages and the lights arival.
I think.

Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
"light" is a player flag and a room flag/characteristic. When a room is "rendered" - that is, when the engine works out what to send to the players client, it checks the player flags, compares them with the way the room is configured via its flags and then selectively adds the room description, it then recurses through exits (depending on how they are flagged), monsters and objects, building up what is the player view of the room content.

All in all it is quite a sophisticated system. allowing for a rich gamespace.

I had not noticed the "order" of illumination that Swampy hints at, but it would make sense given the way a party follows and how the display content is sent to each member of the party in order that they arrive.

Ferni
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
i noticed that order too. in the tunnel to vic park ferlin would have light cast but fernithethird (who is hobbit which does not have night-vision, and old ferni, the non orc one) is the character im always controling so i have to type 'look' and the room dessy is there. maybe if i control ferlin more often it'll be light for the non night-vision character. i find it easier to control the attacking class because they usually initiate battle.
Ferni
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
and voilla if the person who has light cast is the one im controlling the other character will see the room.