TerraMUDX [tMUX] User Community Forum Index

<  Game Play  ~  Northside bonus is imbalanced.

Swampy
Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Posts: 247
Allright, just a real quick post.

Northside +1 damage bonus is too good as an alliance bonus. There's like 1-2 people in south and these days i just see a heap of people in north.

For me +1 damage bonus is not worth losing the fun of playing chaotic characters but it is clearly the best alliance bonus and is miles ahead of the alternate bonus of the southside.

Suggestions to balance if possible please?

PS understand that if alliances were actually changed, and i don't think they will be, that it would be neccessary to have a free recind/repledge time.

LET'S BALANCE THOSE ALLIANCE BONUSES!

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Explorer Joined: 14 Aug 2010 Posts: 15 Location: Pitch Black Darkness
Like you said Swampy, choosing to be chaotic adds a new facet to the game as now you can pkill other players and also be able to be pkilled yourself, so I will continue to choose to be chaotic.

The one extra damage isn't that good a bonus IMHO, the most it could do is allow you to kill one hit or two hits faster, unless you're required to put in like 30+ hits into an enemy to kill it.

Yeah the southside bonus is pretty crappy, perhaps the bonus for that could be an extra tick bonus? Like +4 HP and +2 MP per tick instead of the +2 HP and +1 MP per tick that is granted when you join an alliance?

Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 05 Dec 2007 Posts: 230
10mp per tick on a mage, OH YEAH
Swampy
Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
Member Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Posts: 247
i was thinking more like +1 damage on spells for southside.

As it stands though i feel that there are far better incentives to play a lawful character (extra damage) vs chaotic (extra exp on a few monsters).

As a consequence of this i feel a lot of newer players are just jumping on the northside bandwagon without any real thought to the lawful/chaotic question. (read: i think we should have more chaotic players.)

If this is intentional and is designed to encourage players to play lawful then at least boost southside bonus so we have SOME people in it.

Failing that, reduce the northside bonus to something like faster ticking and leave southside as is.

Bottom line is northside is far to attractive to people and i think that it's sucking people in with it's +1 damage without people really thinking whether they want to be lawful or chaotic. A more balanced (read weaker) northside bonus would encourage players to think more about the chaotic/lawful decision, which is the most important decision in pick alliances.

This is all kinds of hazy, i'm doing it late at night, hopefully main points get across.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 05 Dec 2007 Posts: 230
I actually get what you are saying now bruce (i think). When i think of making a new character i always think of which alliance i want to play as and im leaning towards westside because i want to experiment with the good killing bonus but the extra damage from northside is effectively a couple of strength stat points.