TerraMUDX [tMUX] User Community Forum Index

<  Is there a DM on?  ~  Casting & realms

mamba
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Member Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 114 Location: the real world
I heard it through the grapevine that spell realms go up faster when casting on higher exp monsters. As in my realms would go up faster casting on say, the career's counselor (600exp all up) rather than casting on a middle school teacher (200exp).

Also, does it go something along the lines of every 10% gain there is an increase to spell damage by 1? Thats just something i've noticed going along.
Swampy
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
Member Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Posts: 247
I'm not sure about higher exp monsters giving a larger increase in realm proficancy, but i didn't think they did. My understanding was that realm proficancy rose based on the amount of damage done per spell, rather than exp gained from the kill, but i could be wrong. However it should be noted that because more damage will be done by magic to kill the higher exp monster, it's defeat will boost spell prof more. however, if you were to fight a career counseller and a middleschool teacher, and cast one dustgust on each of them doing the same amount of damage, i think that they would both give the same increase in realm proficancy.

And i'm certain that as realm spells increase the damage done by offensive spells increases. a 10% :1 damage sounds about right, but once again i could be wrong about the exact ratio. For instance my barbarian with only 4 int can still cast dustgust for around 26 damage because he's got an 85% realm proficancy in it.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 05 Dec 2007 Posts: 230
i think that the mud sees our proficiency not as 2 digits, but 3. eg. ferlins wind is 91%, thats what we see. but how the game sees it may be 910. so every time it goes up by ten, the proficiency goes up by 1. im not exactly sure about the rate at which proficiency goes up, but intel and exp affect it. also, wonko told me that fighting a monster that casts a spell of the realm you are using your proficiency can go up faster. eg, the coppersmith uses dustgust and shockbolt, so if i kill those regularly, the proficiency of wind may go up faster. same as in a realm room.
Mazil
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 305 Location: In my fishtank
yes, i can live with that, because the same things apply for auras and armor classes