TerraMUDX [tMUX] User Community Forum Index

<  Is there a DM on?  ~  Wearing armor when logging in

Ferni
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 05 Dec 2007 Posts: 230
When you log on to a character some armor is worn straight away and some isn't. What decides which armor is worn in each category from your inventory? Is it chosen by alphabetical order or by the armor class bonus it gives? It seems to be quite random. Also if possible, it would be cool for your character to by default to wear the armor that has the best armor class for that category when you log in (except for monk and in that case do not have any armor worn on the monk when a monk character logs in).
Mazil
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 305 Location: In my fishtank
If you have simplemu, you can go into your properties for a particular connection (I have one for all my accounts ) and somewhere in there you can set some send on connect commands. There I usually take off all my armor and put on what I want and then wield my usually weapon. Also on that same page conection edit thingy there is a tab where I enter my account name and password such that everytime I hit connect, I type nothing and everything is ready for my character to go Smile
Swampy
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Posts: 247
I believe the tmux code will select the first piece of armor alphabetically for each slot on your character (so basically it sends a use all command). However, some characters (like mages) cannot equip certain pieces of armor in this manner. ie fibreglass gumboots on mages. Mages can wear them if equiped in the manner of use gumboots but will not automatically equip them through a wear all command which seems to be the same command the game sends when you log in. I think this is something to do with the engine defaulting to think that mages cannot wear armor over a certain ac, and the item specific over-ride is only recognized when a specific equip item command is sent. to that end it will select the next alphabeticlly listed armor piece that can be equipped in that slot.

That may be a bit confusing, but maybe it makes sense.

Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
The "player save" is not smart enough to record what bit of gear is where on your character, it does however keep inventory for the most part intact. You have to specifically equip when you login.

Ferni
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Is there no way to make the game apply the best armor in your inventory when you log in though?

EDIT:

so the game is not smart enough to remember what armor is in my inventory?
wonko
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
huh?

all gear is removed and added to your inventory on logout. The game engine is not smart enough to determine what a player would consider the "best" armor would be, no, given players sometimes do not even know themselves

Ferni
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm Reply with quote
i meant to ask is the game not smart enough to know every item in your inventory? and is it possible to code the game to wear the best armor in your inventory? but it is true that some players do not know what the best armor is and should find out for themselves...
Swampy
Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Posts: 247
I believe it is possible to "overload" your characters inventory with items and the game engine will have difficulty saving it. This happened a number of times with bruce and is why there is a recommended 100 item limit in your inventory. And also, persons may not always want to wear their best armor logging in. Suppose it is cursed or they are saving it?

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:33 pm Reply with quote
yup - there is an undocumented limit to eq being saved in inventory - still investigating it - might not be a great idea to log out with a bulging inventory as I do not think I can control what is ditched should that happen