TerraMUDX [tMUX] User Community Forum Index

<  How do I...?  ~  MUD Clients

wonko
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
A CLIENT is a program you run on your computer to connect to a remote network service via the internet. Many operating systems have built-in telnet clients, but OS's like Windows have terribly primitive command-line telnet clients that do not even echo your text unless you "set localecho".

That does NOT render normal telnet un-useable - indeed some of our most experienced players use raw telnet ONLY and see that as part of the challenge.

there are alternatives...

wonko
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
One alternative to raw telnet is SimpleMU

http://simplemu.onlineroleplay.com/

SimpleMU is an allpurpose mux client (that lets you connect to MOOs, MUDs, MUSHs, MUSEs and other multi-user virtual environments).

[cons]
- It is fairly aggressive (in that it likes memory and uses a lot)
- It leaks (uses memory and does not give it back cleanly, so a re-start will eventually be required)
- _can_ lag other processes on your pooter (unless your pooter is not junk)

[pros]
- it runs on nearly any Windows box - at the asylum, we run it on XP embedded and it works fine with nearly no memory.
- simple to download and install [follow the link: http://www.wonko.info/mud/simplemuinstall/
- is configurable, colours, prompts, triggers, f-keys, logs and other nice things
- the menu system is rich and varied with the options you can choose and fairly self-explanatory
- is SHAREWARE, so when you register it you get some other cool features

Last edited by wonko on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

wonko
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
Another alternative is ZuggSoft's ZMUD

http://www.zuggsoft.com/zmud/zmudinfo.htm

ZMUD is not a freebie (well, I purchased my copy neways)

[CONS]
- aggressive, does not like to share RAM with anything
- colourfully crashes, often for no apparent reason
- convoluted to work out how to get it to do stuff [not n00b friendly]

[PROS]
- incredibly powerful, features F-keys, scripting languages, triggers, logs, advanced input/output parsing
- flexible in it's appearance
- built in MAPPER - that "can" create maps while you explore, although it handles non-cardinal directions (NSWE) poorly (door, climb stairs, etc); but lets you overlay maps on graphics, and replay journeys from the map - fairly funky when it is working right

ZMUD is one of the faves of _real_ mudders, and some MUDs even publish trigger code specifically for it, but since tmux discourages scripted action in favor of player-initiated actions, that feature would be less useful in tmux.

tvtv
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Contributor Joined: 04 Dec 2007 Posts: 21 Location: I'm right behind you...
MUD Clients I have: SimpleMU, Zmud (on a permanent trial*)
Telnet Clients I have: Windows telnet, Putty (You CAN connect with any telnet client out there, im sure

imo, simplemu is a great client, has nice features such as hotkeys; (eventhough its memory eating, i still run two at once, i prefer alttab to ctrl-w)
Zmud is pratically full of functions i dont even use, it actually comes with a mapping program as well (takes a long time even with automapping on, because of room exits other than n,s,e,w,up,down)
Note: as far as i know Zmud is not compatible with Windows Vista's Aero effects; makes the borders flicker when u use the top menus

Any raw telnet client can be used to connect to mud, ive used Putty (free telnet, ssh app). Putty is pretty decent client. (Very fun to try to use Razz) You can copy paste, and has plenty of options in a user friendly interface. (This isn't really defaultly optimised to play a MUD, you can try to optimise if u want.

Nonetheless, if you want to play mud satisfactorally, use SimpleMU. It has all the required functions, and is 100% legitly free.

*i.e. full functionality without paying** (Mazil if ur reading this you can prob get zmud now since u got a new comp Razz)

**Disregard this if you've read it Razz

Last edited by tvtv on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
About ZMUDs mapping program.
Zmud has a mapping program which is fairly tedious to use.
It saves its maps as a database which can be edited with Microsoft Access. (For some reason when i try to load a map after i save it sometimes makes a weird bug and says it cannot perform this operation on a closed dataset. Whats the problem here oO?)
I've only managed to sofar map sickbay and the area outside (including quadrangle, pool, tunnel) and the sewers. (I can actually make the program auto-walk me to Waterford faster than you would be able to type it, and you can reach any room at all on a map just by double clicking it, its pretty awesome)
Anyhows doing such a feat as mapping the whole of TerraMUD is something that i wouldn't do, it just would take too much time.
About the Scripts
It IS possible to write scripts like Wonko stated above. I have experimented (only gained like 50 xp at the most during experimentation Razz). Most triggers like that can be done in SimpleMU. Note: I think it is possible to combine this with the mapping program to make a "circuit" of training, auto walking through spawn sites and killing with triggers, etc, and making it walk to sickbay when ur hp is critical, and back to training when ur hp is full. Leaving this on overnight would probable let you gain a level (killing handballers etc Razz) Still this IS considered cheating, and why would you be bothered to take the effort anyways?

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
- _can_ lag other processes on your pooter (unless your pooter is not junk)

Mud shouldn't really need so much computing power to play.
If you're computer can't handle it, consider using the it as a stool.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Putty Site:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
Try playing MUD on it Razz

:O on the website it says encryption is outlawed in some countries lol.

Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Mud shouldn't really need so much computing power to play.
If you're computer can't handle it, consider using the it as a stool.

The MUD itself only sends and receives a dribble of data to/from smeagol, and can be played perfectly well from even a lowly little dialup account - unlike most online games, it's game data stream is miniscule - interestingly, when monitoring Smeagol, tmux does not even register as an active process [even during a terraWar].

The _lag_ I am referring to is not game-induced. Understanding lag is an interesitng thing as LOTS of things can cause it. SimpleMU gets "tired" - by that I mean, if it is in memory for long periods of time the capability of your system decreases measurably. It is tied up with the [sloppy] programming behind the program and the ever increasing window contents - play for a day and then scroll back to the top of the window - all that stuff stays live in the window.

Most of the performance can be regained by logging, closing simpleMU and re-starting it. ALL of the performance can be gained by restarting yout pooter also - remember, it is windoze, strangely it was never designed to run continually without restarting - a "feature apparently".

I use PUTTY (SSH) to edit the MUD - news articles, help files, game code etc have ALL been edited using putty - it is a general Telnet client - that is it lets you connect to remote systems at command line - the essence of telnet. It would be marginally better than the Windows telnet client for gameplay however.

Last edited by wonko on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

wonko
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
SimpleMU on Vista

You need to be a bit tricksy to get SimpleMU to run on an operating system as stupid as Vista.

First, Install as per normal - get your copy from http://simplemu.onlineroleplay.com/

Then
- Right click on the shortcut and select Properties
- Select the Compatibility Tab
- Check off Run this program in compatibility mode for
- Select Windows XP Service Pack 2

Now
- Click show settings for all users
- Check off: Run this program as an administrator

Finally
Click Apply, then click ok and ok and ok until you don't have to click ok any more.

You will probably have to restart your pooter after doing this to enjoy the full glory of SimpleMU on Vista

mamba
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
Member Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 114 Location: the real world
When i try to connect on my laptop (it has linux) it doesnt let me saying "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (telnet) isn't associated with any program." Ive tried connecting through simplemu and the wonkoclient, but still nothing. Me not being flash with computers, any suggestions on how to... ah... connect/ what to download?
wonko
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
You need to download a telnet client for linux, alternately, drop to the command prompt and type "telnet smeagol.terrace.qld.edu.au 4001" which may launch a built-in telnet application if one is installed

wonko
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
I have found a new feature rich client that looks fairly hoopy, but I have not had time to test it - anyone wanna do a roadtest and submit a review?

http://www.gameaxle.com/cgi-bin/index.pl - the thing is called "Portal" and looks to contain more features than seem possible.