TerraMUDX [tMUX] User Community Forum Index

<  Future Imperfect Explained  ~  St. Joe's

wonko
Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
Central to the master plan is St. Joe's - a derelict school yard near the middle of a once great city. Clearly the in-game St. Joe's is modelled on a real place, with some concessions to cardinal directions [NSWE], where north is towards Gregory terrace, South to Water Street, West to Victoria Street and east to Rogers Street. For the most part, this orientation is correct, all beit a little skewed to provide a N-S central axis from which all maps are drawn. the same conventions were adopted for Waterford Place.

Victoria Park was modelled faithfully over a Google Earth map which is why there are odd directions for exits.

Tennyson was originally mapped over a Google Earth map which was skewed a little west to provide a west-east main driveway.

Maroon was more difficult - I could not find it on Google earth, so used an orienteering map (a topographical map) and a compass and, interestingly, the main path runs roughly north-south as a central spine so is all a happy coincidence.

I have, initially anyways, stuck with the physical geography of the places when sculpting gamespace. I have not, generally, stuck with the original purpose of the place however. the challenge of re-purposing areas so they are conceivable, credible and complex is very enjoyable, and is akin to novel writing in a way - each area has many sub-stories, interwoven quests and related monsters and gear.

Initially, there was great resistance to the suggestion that the gamespace set in and around the school would be lame [and to some, it probably still is], but the richness and diversity now available offers players real challenges and interesting alternatives to conventional dungeon and dragon-style areas. I have written the equivalent [wonko does a quick tally] of 3 novels so far - describing and planning - some of my planning documents are precious indeed, along with detailed maps, a whole new nomenclature for visually planning an area ... all in all, quite pleasing I hope.

I have taken some liberties with reality however - as far as I know, there is not an extensive multi-layered sewer system under st.joe's [or is there?], I added a few poles in the ropes course [actually, I thought there were 6 until I re-visited the area and discovered it was not the case] and no climbing wall where I have put it out at Maroon, but I think they work as ideas.

I like the idea that an area still has remnants of it's original purpose, but has been re-worked or re-used in a new context - Waterford Place for instance, has always been a lair for mad scientists and odd-ball experimentation [just like real life ] Shocked

wonko
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
The redevelopment at Tennyson interests me on a few levels.

Initially, stage 1 was to showcase a new sport - well, an amalgam of two actually that I thought would be interesting to watch - BOTH rugby and soccer being played on the same field - I can imagine both sets of players slugging it out and indeed that was the intention of the muddy playing field, grandstand of enthusiastic supporters and so on.

The Tennyson area is physically so large in real life that there is much scope for development. Rediscovering of the boatshed, and the associated back stories of tragedy and the reasons for it becoming disused and overgrown has been a lot of fun to write. I went for a "recently reclaimed from overgrowth" as that theme worked really well for me in the Maroon areas, I can imagine buildings in various states of repair, weeds in gutters, rust stains and broken dirty windows [maybe that is just how my mind works, maybe my psychoanalyst would have something to say about my returning to such themes also].

There are a bunch of ovals left, and therefore lots of scope for a varied and interesting place. After the boatshed, there is a large open-air country market and car-boot sale area planned for the large expanse between the boatshed and the tuckshop area, with the possibility of offering "stalls" to allow players to sell their wares to other players. This will themed on "trailer trash" with an emphasis on future imperfect nomads, squatters and charlatans, so should be fun to play.

Last edited by wonko on Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

wonko
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
St. Joe's and it's associated areas are expansive and varied.

Explore the Sewers underneath the main campus (you know they must be there), if you are game:

Try arguing menus with the Camp cook at Maroon:

Try your luck on the Tennyson reach of the Brizzy River:

Pick your way through the Arboretum, atop the bARC Complex (formally known as Waterford Place):

Climb to new heights at Maroon's High Rope Course:

Or hunt for Bunyips, big

...or small

However you look at it, there ain't no flies on us

All artwork lovingly created by the multi-talented Mrs Helen Clarke (Clarkie) who, despite being a rednut herself, is still capable of leading a perfectly normal life (if being haunted by images of the tMUX world could be considered normal, that is) - love your work darl.

wonko
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
The Rowing Shed at Tennyson is the latest area of release and it occurred to wonko that some have never been there, so ...

I got my daughter to drive me out there [she needed a driving lesson anyways] and I took some photos:

A Flash sideshow [slightly better resolution] can be found at: http://www.wonko.info/mud/img/rowingshed.swf

Hope this helps you get your bearings on what it looked like in its heyday.

wonko
Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You stand beside what looks like a crater in what was once a road surface
of a steep street. Murky water fills the bottom of the hole, punctuated by
the remnants of rusting shopping carts. Looking up the hill you see over-
turned rusting hulks of cars, to the east a tall wall topped with razor wire
and a large dirty building looms to the west. Looking down to the north you
can see the remains of a once great main road running west east, now deeply
rutted and littered with debris.
We often view the future as a shiny utopia, one size fits all sort of a place but I thought it would be interesting to peek into the future-imperfect, not so far away that we are clad as a storm trooper in white plexiglass on a space station, but allow time to pass - bad times behind us. How might we emerge from some sort of catastrophe? It interests me greatly how things familiar might be re-discovered, re-purposed, or indeed how they might be interpreted if the original use and meaning were lost in time,
Quote:
On the Quadrangle
You are in a large open area, clambering over a structure that looks like
it used to be a roof or shade structure. Some great force has caused
this roof to collapse and there is little left but a tangle of metal
and broken roof tiles. You notice strange markings in the paved floor
visible through the rubble - white square shapes, and wonder what
ceremonial purposes they were put to. A large stone and timber hall
looms in the gloom to the west, and buildings are visible in the distance
to the north, south and west also.
All exits: north, south, east, west.
Here with you is two handballers.

> A handballer arrived, concentrating on gameplay.
To the casual observer, or the noob who carelessly/cluelessly rushes about looking for things for free or something to kill at the expense of the detail, I suggest you stop and take the time to smell the roses. Lose yourself in what I hope you find is an intricate and complex world. Working out how the social structure now functions is often at the core of many of the quests lovingly embedded in this world.

Imagination is a wonderful thing, a few carefully chosen words, a plausible context and your own in-built rendering engine [that pink squoodgy thing that keeps your ears apart] is capable of conjuring images whose quality far exceeds any technological trickery and never needs an upgrade. In simplicity lies great complexity if you allow yourself to see it.