33%
  [ 2 ]  33%

13+  
33%
  [ 2 ]  33%

Total Votes : 6
pressenter
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Explorer Joined: 19 Jul 2008 Posts: 12 Location: In your head, stealing your smarts...
Post here what level you think players aren't noobs anymore.
Note: This is not in a negative way but for peoples opinions

Last edited by pressenter on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Swampy
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Posts: 247
i put 9-12, but once again, i think that "noob" is based more on skill level than on character level. You can have a high level character and still be a noob, and have a low level character and not be.
mamba
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 114 Location: the real world
I dunno, i just stumbled upon something in the commune that I've never seen before. Proves you never stop learning.
Swampy
Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Posts: 247
mmm, but to NOT be a noob does not require that a player has a complete and total understanding and knowledge of every piece of tmux, largely because i suspect it is an impossible goal, approached from the player side.

I guess really, people stop being noobs when they understand the game mechanics; ie:- they can quest, they can fight without dying regularly, they can explore map and solve mazes, they can talk and trade etc. When a player masters these skills they cease to be noobs. Mostly i would say this transformation takes place in the 9-12, though mine may have been a little later Wink. The fact that they do not know some obscure piece of info does not classify them as noobs.

That said, i agree, you never stop learning. In tmux doubly so.
wonko
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
a n00b in my opinion is a player who is dependent on other people for knowledge and other stuff. Non-n00bs are players who have a degree of independence - they can explore, find things for themself and have sufficient knowledge of how the game works to choose to work on their own if they need to, or party without being a liability.

Interesting thread however, as n00bs are vital for a healthy actively growing game but they are also very difficult to cater for in a text-based environment

Last edited by wonko on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mazil
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote
Member Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 305 Location: In my fishtank
HEY!

why is there a 'never' response? people are always learning new things

and besides, newbies have the most fun, wouldnt want to become pro and get angry when i lose would i?
wonko
Posted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
"pro" is a whole other ball park (and a much more dififcult classification). the moment you stop learning in a game you prolly should stop playing it IWHO. A n00b however has not yet learned sufficient to be an independent and successful player. Defining "success" is a bit like nailing jelly to a tree - players have their own understanding of success (in a game like this there is no "one-size fits all, which is a good thing) and it might be understanding levelling, harvesting gold, racing up the XP tree, hoarding precious or navigating their way around. It might be as simple as surviving a battle with a particular nasty or finally working out what a piece of gear does, or uncovering a narrative thread that ties in with something else you have found out.

A "pro" is a state of mind, these are the pains in the neck IWHO, those with closed minds who tell other players how much they know, how things work (or should) and exude a sort of confidence that seems repellent to other players. Maybe I am being harsh, as I am not a player, merely an "observer" of players but I celebrate those who actively explore the detail, notice the subtle nuance and cope with this wondrous dinosaur of a game.