TerraMUDX [tMUX] User Community Forum Index

<  Game Play  ~  Music?

Do you listen to music while playing mud?

Yes  
60%
  [ 6 ]  60%

No  
40%
  [ 4 ]  40%

Total Votes : 10
Swampy
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Member Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Posts: 247
Just curious, who listens to music while they play mud? and what do you listen to?

For me it's mostly Metallica, but also linkin park, meatloaf, flying pickets, Rammstein and Mudvayne. Cool

Last edited by Swampy on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 05 Dec 2007 Posts: 230
ever since i got guitar hero III ive been listening to songs from it because they totally ROCK!
Mazil
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 305 Location: In my fishtank
well, its only on the rare occasion that i remeber to turn my energy in-efficient speakers on that i listen to music
hungryobento
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Contributor Joined: 05 Dec 2007 Posts: 20 Location: back at school, but this time ive joined the dark side...
usually when i listen to music i get distracted and die XD
in other words, i'm always listening to it,
shuffle playlist please
wonko
Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
In reflection, music has fundamentally coloured and indeed fuelled the BUILDING of many areas. In retrospect, the music I was listening to whilst building might be great as the soundscape for playing an area also.
  • Without doubt, my most common listening inspiration is Tom Waits. He has the roughest voice on the planet, but sings the blues like no one ever has. The future-imperfect TMux world would not have been possible without musical stimulation from him - namely "Mule Variations", "Alice", "Real Gone", "Heart Attack and Vine", "Small Change", "Raindogs", "Swordfishtrombones", "Bone machine" and "Blood Money". I always find myself coming back to his music, not sure why but it works as a general St. Joes backdrop - the raw throaty blues fits decay most comfortably.
  • Vic Park was built whilst listening mostly to Rammstein - namely "Mutter", "Reise Reise", "Sehnsucht", "Live aus Berlin" and "Rosenrot" mainly, not sure how that ties in (gangs, dirt bikes, yeah, that works) but I got most of my descriptive inspiration during that time from german lyrics I did not understand.
  • The sewers were built fast [interestingly they were crystal clear in my head] and mostly whilst listening to Portishead, namely "Dummy", "Portishead", "Roseland NYC" and a Beth Gibbons [portishead lead singer] solo project "Rustin Man - out of season". there is something that really gets me about their style - travel the sewers whilst listening to them and you will get it
  • The Commune was built to THE CURE. Mainly "Disintegration", "Head on the Wall", "Mixed Up", "Boys Don't Cry", "Japanese Whispers" and "Wild Mood Swings". I tried LOTS of different music but found myslef coming back to the Cure as catalyst for that areas nicest descriptions. They are goth/emo, but the music they make cheers me up and makes me think of happy days in the sun.
  • Brother J.S. Campbell Memorial home for incurable Zombies (and Ghouls) was mostly built to David Bowie, particularly "Scary Monsters", "The Man who sold the world", "Low", "Outside", "Diamond Dogs", "Station to Station", "Heroes" and "Heathen". Bowie is "other-wordly" but strangely this collection of his music most inspired the creepy horror stuff (and Vlad is my "Thin White Duke"). I have everything he has recorded, but selected these albums as fuel for inspiration.
  • Ground Floor of bARC was built mainly to Amon Tobin, namely "Adventures in Foam", "Chaos Theory (splintercell sound track)", "Bricolage", "Supermodified" and "Permutations". His use of synthesisers and massively structured bass proved inspirational as he is my defnition of how electronica should sound - electronica + bARC, yeah, that works right?
  • Most of Maroon was built while listening to The Necks - particularly "Drive by", "Photosynthesis", "Sex", "Aether", "Aquatic", "Hanging Gardens", "Monsquito" "See through" and "Silent Night" - these groovy dudes do minimalistic improvisational Jazz like no one else on the planet and typically each album is ONE track, often stretching beyond an hour long. They proivided me with much inspiration for that out-doorsey feel, and coupled with trips there for Kairos, I think I have captured the place well.
  • The conditioning centre in bARC is currently being built largely to Brian Eno instrumentals [now I have everything he has recorded, some 30+ albums, but some of his instrumental really creeps me out in a good way] - in particular "On Land", "Apollo", "Music for civil recovery centre", "Neroli", "Music for Airports", "Music for Films 1, II and III" and "Shutov assembly" - these stark and disturbing ambient soundscapes are fuelling the current creative input. For light relief I am also listening to Daft Punk - it has a techy feel that makes some of the technological descriptions feel easier to write.
So what? Well, download [or do as I do actually BUY] some and listen while playing - get inside my headspace [hopefully it is not too scary in there] and you begin to see interesting parallels, or not. I concentrate best with music as background noise [go slowly loopy when in silence] - you may also, gotta be worth a shot.

Swampy
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
Member Joined: 22 Dec 2007 Posts: 247
actually given the replacement of the kill command with attack/battle
i would recommend listening to system of a down's "attack" a good song, and if nothing else mudders can appreciate the repeated lyrics "attack attack attack."
Ferni
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 05 Dec 2007 Posts: 230
playing music i like keeps me motivated when i am grinding down tnl. but i hate playing it when i quest, i just cant concentrate. looking for all those minute details that don't fit is hard enough. although i think music is a good addition to the texty scenario of terramud. maybe there could be soundtracks to certain areas, like spooky music for the zombie house and electronica for the bARC. it could make the game more interesting to players if they hear music when playing the game. it brings on a whole new perspective when playing this game. you hear the backround, you feel the keys, but you dont see anything. the only images you see are those you make from the text.