TerraMUDX [tMUX] User Community Forum Index

<  Objects of Envy  ~  Money in TerrMUD

tvtv
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Contributor Joined: 04 Dec 2007 Posts: 21 Location: I'm right behind you...
Note - I didn't know in which section to post this, so i'll post it here because its to do with items.

TerraMUD has it all - a interactive world complete with heroes, monsters, a post-apocalyptic world, with a republican government. This government is pretty nice, calling martial law time from time again. But, still it cannot handle the world's economy well.

What I'm talking about is the real-world term - inflation.

TerraMUD's inflation is legendary. It is most likely more higher than the most war-torn and terrorised country on Earth (it IS post-apocalyptic), and is probably why the govt decided to switch from real gold to nice worthless dollars.

In fact - there is so much money everywhere its useless. Players become millionaires, millionaires become billionaires.. well not that much.

Still, money is so worthless in this game, so people are even bothered picking up $2 off the ground ($2 can feed a child in Africa for more than a day in real-life, in MUD you can buy nothing with it).

Money in TerraMUD really only serves three purposes:

1. Buying really crappy gear (excluding potions)
2. Trading items (at really high prices)
3. Gloating at others at how rich you are

In fact, whats the point of selling gear in the first place if money is so useless? Just don't bother picking up those pocket calculators and watches. Don't bother picking up random useless articles for money. Just save inventory space!

In real life, inflation is treated by raising interest rates. Now since the TerraMUD bank conveniently does NOT have interest on its accounts, and it does NOT give loans, this method is not viable in this game.

So what to do?
To fix this problem of inflation, it requires that money is actually worth something. A possible solution is selling really worthy items (homesick, etc) at sky-high prices, to eat into those rich mudders' pockets!

What solutions do you have for this problem?

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
you are, of course, completely correct here, at least in part.

Money, or more broadly balance, is an issue and not an easy one to solve. Rest assured that the republican government is working on strategies to change reward-rates and provide more shopping facilities (the soon-to-come car boot sale and country markets @ Tennyson should see some worthwhile vendors, wares and bargains.

Longer term however, the worth of things will need to change, when the gamespace is developed so slowly, in stages, it is impossible to get all aspects right first go and still have players playing, levelling and rescinding from alliances do financially stress some players however.

tvtv
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Contributor Joined: 04 Dec 2007 Posts: 21 Location: I'm right behind you...
I see.
I trust that the govt will choose the right decisions..
But then again chaos is fun. Very Happy