TerraMUDX [tMUX] User Community Forum Index

<  Is there a DM on?  ~  Backstabbing power

Mazil
Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 305 Location: In my fishtank
does the power increase every level or title. and by how much... like x.25 of a normal hit?
Ferni
Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 05 Dec 2007 Posts: 230
I do think backstabbing power does go up by title... sometimes. For example when fernithethird made it to brigand at level 10 i didnt see much of a difference, but when he made it to rogue at level 13 there was a huge difference with him doing 60+ using a wakizashi sword.
Mazil
Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote
yeah, but you didnt have that weapon at lvl 9 or 10 did you?
wonko
Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
Backstab is a modified HIT, the modifier increases the power of the hit by a factor that is in-part determined by the backstabber's dice, level, AC, thac0, the weapon wielded at the time of the attack and whether you are backstabbing a monster or a fellow player.

The calculation is long and tedious, but there are many things that can vary, so comparisons player to player may not be as revealing as first thought as no two players have identical characteristics.

Mazil
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote
i know thac0 stands for "to hit armor class 0"... but what does that mean?
wonko
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 02 Dec 2007 Posts: 220 Location: ...somewhere outside the asylum
Thac0 is one of the many measures used in a complex calculation to determine how good your attack is each swipe.

You and your opponent have an armor class (AC) measuring how hard it is to be hit. Lower AC means harder to hit, higher meaning easier. You each also have a thac0.

When an attacker takes a swipe, the game looks at the AC of the victim, if it's AC is different than 0, we subtract their AC from the attackers thac0 and that represents the boundary value the attacker's dice is working against - if the attacker's dice exceeds the boundary result, a hit is recorded (how much different determines the severity of the hit).

Both victim and attacker have thac0s because a battle is _rarely_ one sided - as in, when you attack, usually the victim attempts to fight back. High thac0s mean ineffectual hitting, low thac0s improve this. the "0" is merely used as a fixed point of reference in the calculation.

Lowering YOUR AC makes you harder to hit. Armor is the main way of lowering your AC. Weaponry can effect your ability to hit (der) with the complex interaction of level, AC and combined dice (player has a dice that is modified by their gear and bonuses). Your thac0 is determined as you modify your equipped gear.

Ferni
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Member Joined: 05 Dec 2007 Posts: 230
im sorry if this is a bit late.

but if backstabs are a modified hit, they have the same probability as just hitting?
Mazil
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
if that's true, then where does dex come into the equation?